Sunday, October 28, 2007

¡Hey, hey mis queridos!


We've really enjoyed all your posts and comments over the past week. We run in and check each time we have a minute. It's been a wild week...the MP's seminar in Bogota was so great. It is hard not to feel a little overwhelmed and under-qualified, but we have faith that nothing is too hard for the Lord...including qualifying us for this huge assignment. Last night we had a despedida (going away dinner) for the missionaries going home. I shopped, cooked, cleaned, cooked, cleaned, and cooked some more. Sister Ridd came up with some of her great stuff and decorated the tables and then we served undercooked chicken cordon bleu with gummy (don't asked me how I did it) twice-baked potatoes. The broccoli and carrots were good--if not just a tad overcooked, the rolls were fine, the jello salad portions looked a bit lonely on their little plates, the juice was good and the brownies, ice cream and chocolate sauce was nice and safe. The decorations were the highlight of the meal. Oh well, I have two chances this week to redeem myself when the new missionaries arrive on Tuesday and for Zone Leaders' counsel on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure chicken cordon bleu is off the list. I honestly prayed no one would be sick from salmonella, including 8 family members that were there.


This first picture is a scan of a note that we received from a Deacon with Downs Syndrome that passed the sacrament to us this morning. For some reason in many of the wards here in Ecuador, the tradition for those passing the sacrament is to pass using the right hand and to keep the left hand folded in back (as you would in a proper bow). Anyway, this cute little Deacon passed us the sacrament, and had this note in his left hand, which he kept dutifully placed behind his back, with the hand waving wildly, like "take this, please". We're not sure what it says, but it was sure delightful to get a note from here. This ward treated us like celebrities. (If only they knew...I use chicken as a weapon.)


The second picture is of us at a despedida dinner about two months ago. My hair is short now, and Dad got a perm and some highlights, but we're basically the same people you see here.


Keep on postin' them there messages, ya'll! All our love, Mom and Dad

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Great post, Mom. That's a sweet little story about the deacon. The funny thing is, the deacons in Peru also kept their left hand rigidly behind their back. I'm sure what happened is that some gringo in the Andean Mission back in the late 1950s insisted that it be done that way because that's how he was taught, and it spread from there.

Catherine Call said...

What a precious little story. Steve's theory is probably right on point! Thanks for keeping us updated on little details like this, mom. Sorry about your chicken. Are you sure it was under-cooked? Most chicken is over-cooked in my opinion.

EmmaJ said...

I think I have seen some deacons here (stateside) with their hands behind their backs... they are probably just being smart alacks though.
Sorry about the chicken... I undercooked some in a stuffing chicken casserole a few months back when we had missionaries over. It happens to everyone.

Carolyn said...

At least you didn't put a quarter of a cup of curry in a casserole or half a cup of salt in brownie batter eh?