Hey all you fine folksies,
This is a picture Dad took that we thought you might enjoy.
Yesterday we started a round of zone conferences here in Guayaquil. I am covering a couple of health issues. The missionaries are covered by missionary medical except for dental and eye care—any dental and eye issues should be paid for by the missionary/family. That rolls off the tongue pretty smooth but in practice it is a little harder. For example, when a missionary calls me (and he has a year to go) and says his tooth is hurting, if he is a Latino (which 75%) of our missionaries are), it is almost certain that there is no more money at home. In most cases, they have used every available penny to get to the field with a few white shirts, some socks and a pair of shoes—$200 worth of dental work is like asking for their right arm. We have a special fund that we can use for “other” expenses, but it does not nearly meet our needs in that regard. We have had a rash of root canals, cavities, etc. Dad will have to end up calling their stake presidents and asking them to cough up the money, and that of course, takes a lot of time to actually reach the stake presidents. We had one elder come out with braces on, which is a logistical nightmare.
Dad and I attended Sunday night the baptism of a couple. It was a sweet baptism and we were treated like some visiting royalty. It is really quite embarrassing to be made such a fuss over—we had to sit on the stand, all the speakers mentioned what an honor it was to have the mission president there, we both bore our testimonies, we had our picture taken with the couple, etc. If they only knew how ordinary we are. You would get a kick out of the congregational singing here. Stephen said it best when he said that the “sons of Lehi aren’t known for their great singing ability”. Hardly anyone knows how to play the piano so all the music is a capella and they all start on whatever pitch “on the count of three”. The melody and the rhythm both degenerate the longer they sing. The irony is that they all love to sing and take great comfort and joy from the hymns. They all have their own copies of the hymns and bring them to each church meeting.
Dad and I attended Sunday night the baptism of a couple. It was a sweet baptism and we were treated like some visiting royalty. It is really quite embarrassing to be made such a fuss over—we had to sit on the stand, all the speakers mentioned what an honor it was to have the mission president there, we both bore our testimonies, we had our picture taken with the couple, etc. If they only knew how ordinary we are. You would get a kick out of the congregational singing here. Stephen said it best when he said that the “sons of Lehi aren’t known for their great singing ability”. Hardly anyone knows how to play the piano so all the music is a capella and they all start on whatever pitch “on the count of three”. The melody and the rhythm both degenerate the longer they sing. The irony is that they all love to sing and take great comfort and joy from the hymns. They all have their own copies of the hymns and bring them to each church meeting.
(Catherine, where are my boys?)
Love Mom and Dad
5 comments:
I don't think you two are ordinary at all!
I don't know if I could handle the singing. I'd be shaking with laughter on the stand!
Amazing picture, keep them coming.
I think of all you girls each time we're singing with the congregation. You would just die for trying not to laugh...really. Steve, I'm sure, is used to it.
I was just about to write the exact same thing as Emma! I love you and miss you.
Post a Comment