Monday, December 3, 2007

Chrismas devotional...and nostalgia


We started the day with a fireside discussion at the home of a member at 8:00 a.m., the went to a stake conference, where we both spoke, then went back the house of the same member to eat lunch. It was a very humble cinderblock house with no kitchen table, a cement floor, and not enough dishes to serve everyone at the same time, but they are wonderful members who attend the temple at least weekly and have strong testimonies. We felt guilty eating this heaping plate of food (mostly rice) because we know it is difficult for them to even feed their own family--but it seemed to mean a great deal to them to have us there.

After the meal, we went home for a couple of hours and then Dad had some meetings with stake presidents, and then we watched the fireside on KBY-TV via internet. It was extra meaningful to me this year and made us miss all of you a little more than usual. Steve and Emma will be in Key West, Jason and Catherine in Milwaukee (their first Christmas there), the girls in Provo with Becca, and Dad and I here in Ecuador. That is fairly spread out. We all need to make a conscious effort to enjoy new things, lose ourselves in making others happy, and have fun. Happiness is often a conscious decision.

Here is a picture of the "Christmas" puzzle we finished a month ago, but just took the picture of. Dad of course absconded with not just one, but two puzzle pieces and so finished the puzzle. As far as I know, there were no "boonie" pieces.


Love you all...and in case you were in need of some advise, choose from the following:

Don't worry, be happy.

Have a good day, or not. The choice is yours.

Hold to the rod.

O be wise, what can I say more?



4 comments:

EmmaJ said...

Great words to wisdom! Steve, Betty and I all attended the Christmas Devotional. There were only 12 people that showed up at the Branch building to watch it. I made cranberry cake. In Key West the members don't really understand the difference between "the choir will now sing..." and the choir and congregation will now sing..." So any of the songs that were in the hymn book we all end up singing... it is something I look forward to now, because I like singing with the choir.

Carolyn said...

I think that that might drive me bononkers. I like the choir only numbers. Hmmm...funny stuff. I like your puzzle Mom, but I think that I will stick to the Disney puzzles with the really really big pieces. Guess who put in the last piece of our puzzle this year...Starts with a "B" and ends with an "ecca." Is anyone surprised?...we weren't.

Anonymous said...

Emma, that sounds like something we might do here in Ecuador. Carolyn, I heard the last piece was quite an ordeal, yet with the expected outcome.

Catherine Call said...

what happened with the last piece with the girls? I wanna hear a funny story?!?!

Emma--I LOVE cranberry cake. I like the tart cranberries nestled in sweet, moist cake.......I am sure yours would have been the best I ever tasted