Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Letters to me from my siblings....

I went through my "special box" tonight. There were tears, joy, pain, and most of all an overwhelming feeling of love. How lucky am I?!? I love you all. Truly.

From Steve:

(Letter from the MTC)

"...As devastated as I am to hear about Jenny Taylor not waiting for me, I think I'll survive."
"...I'm glad you've forgotten Chad, he's a dork"
"...The communal showers are totally for real. No one wants to shower at the same time as me since it's kind of bad for their self-esteems."
"...My companion is a cool guy and I like him a lot, but if I had met him anywhere other than the mish I would hate him."

(Letter after home from mission before returning to the Y)
(after I married Jason)

"Dear Cat and Jacob, how are the scholars? More importantly, how are you guys?"
"I'm going to write about the most fascinating thing I can think of: myself."
"I've decided to major in civil disobedience with a minor in sticking it to the man........and I am gearing up to get better grades than last time I was up there."
"So, tell me this, do married college students go out and have fun or is it like middle-age in a younger body? If you're suffering from stale Saturday nights, try hanging eggs from the Marriot Center bridges. That's the ticket."

From Becca:

(July 9, 1995 while Steve and I were in Monticello)

"What have you been doing" I haven't been doing anything. (As usual.)"
"Since you left it just has not been the same because when you want to call someone nobody is on the phone and the telephone hardly rings any more."
"Dad FINALLY got off the computer so I could write you this letter."
"I miss you and Stephen so much and I can't wait until I see you again. I love you."
"P.S. Please WRITE BACK and tell Stephen to."

(May 2004)
"Congratulations on your new baby! Here are some clothes and stuff for him. Every baby needs good music to listen to; hence the cds."
"I don't really have any good advice for you, but maybe Pres. Hinckley does; I enclosed a talk from him about mothers."
"I miss you, miss you, miss you."
"I love you and can't wait to see you at the reunion in July."

(February 2, 2005)
"Here's the MaryKay money I owe you from forever ago.....plus a little extra for you and Jason to go do something fun." (Becca owed me 20 dollars and sent me a check for 200.)

From Rachel:

(Nov. 5, 2001 recorded word-for-word by mother)

In it's precious entirety:

"Dear Catherine and Jason,

Uhhm, well last few days horrible time, uhhmmm feeling that good. Know what? Uhhhm, Monsters Inc funny as what's it called? Funny as heck. Uhhhm, a new movie, too. Shrek. (she starts singing) "When I saw her face....now I'm a believer"
How are you? Uhhmm, Catherine and Jason? I can't wait to see you at Christmas!

Love,
Rachel (signed in her own hand with hearts next to her name)"

From Carolyn:

(not dated, written in the cutest cursive letters)

"Dear Cat,
Please sleep in our room one more night. Thanks for last night. See you later. Thanks again.
Love, Carolyn
p.s. don't be mad!! I love you."

(January, 1998)

This isn't really a letter, but it is the most darling invitation to a hot-chocolate party.

The front reads,
"I smell some hot-chocolate, Catherine!!!"
The inside left reads,
"You're invited to a hot-chocolate party......"
The inside right says,
"When: Monday 1/5/98
Where: Kitchen Table
Host: Carolyn
RSVP: To Carolyn before Monday"
(Then there's a hand drawn mug of hot-chocolate with the words"join me" written on the mug.)

(November, 2001)

"Dear Catty and Jason,
Wuz up "G" Dogs? I'm coo. How's the new condo? I stayed home from school today and did puzzles, watched movies, and drank Pepsi. Life was good except for the fact that I don't feel good. Well, no mas decir. Can't wait to see ya'll at Christmas.

Love
Carolyn The one y only
P.S. Hang tight! Oh yiggity yeah!"

From Melanie:

(undated, the cute misspellings are all hers--you should see the random capitalization--absolutely PRECIOUS!!)

"Cat you asked me if I like summer school. well it's preety fun. We are going to go to Mearie Calinders. Joy Larson is one of the drivers. I'm going to go in Joy's car. Well I love you by.
Melanie (signed in FANCY cursive)"

(not dated, after 2001, but from the info Mel will probably know what year in school she was)

"I am doing the Tallent Show again. The dance STINKS cause Rachel mad it up. (Not to be rude or anything but she dances like a trooperette). These people are in it: Me, Lindsey A., Amanda D, and Rachel. Actually the dance isn't that bad but it's pretty bad."

(not dated, but after 2001)

"Since I get too sad to talk to you on the phone I decided to write you letters. I wish that you and Jason could come for the recital. I miss you ALOT Cat. I miss you so much I can't explain. Talk to ya later!"

5 comments:

EmmaJ said...

So precious! Thanks for sharing them.

Stephen said...

Classic. Shows why you have to keep hard copies of stuff like the blog. Thanks for sharing, Catrine!

Carolyn said...

These were way fun to read. Good job Chatrin for saving them and for putting them on the blog.

Buckanator said...

Carolyn and I noticed that Rachel mentioned two movies in that short letter. Perfect. Melanie talking about the dance is seriously hilarious.

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Great blog, Catherine. It reflects each of your personalities, including Catherine's talent for bringing out the best in everyone.

GOOD TIMES