Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My Favorite Things About 2012



Last year was chock full of goodness for us. Not every moment overflowed with sparkles, butterflies, sunshine, and roses—but almost every moment did. For me there were the long freezing cold drives on icy roads to my teaching job in Blackfoot that I was not super in love with. There were evenings filled with seemingly endless lesson plans and papers to grade. There were Sunday nights that I choked back tears at the thought of going back to work the next day. For Mike there were long days of classes and long nights of homework and dealing with a stressed out teacher wife. Then there was a brief stint working for the company from hell. Longest four days of the year. Together we worried about: Where should we look for a job for Mike? Will we be able to get hired? Where should we live? Do we take this offer? Can we afford ____________? How much longer will the Saturn last? Don’t worry though; this is not a Debbie Downer post. Even as we had these “hard” things happen, we knew just how good we had/have it. 2012, I heart you huge time, and here’s why:
  • Even though teaching was draining, I had some very high highs from the job and overall it was a fulfilling experience. While I can’t say I miss it, I do miss the kids and attending their after-school functions.
  • We made so many great friends in Rexburg that we still keep in touch with since moving. The Roberts, Clares, and Johnsons made the last year in the Burg so much fun. We miss having such great friends in the same apartment complex. Shoot, we’d even settle for friends that good in the same city.
Becky, Allison, and Me after a RS Activity

  • Mikey graduating in July was big for us. Even though it goes against the Johns Way, I was glad that I convinced him to walk at graduation. It was nice to have most of his family there to celebrate with us.


  • We are so grateful for Mike’s job.
  • I now live in a place where snow is a rare magical wonder instead of an everyday hassle.
  • There were lots of fun trips this year—some big, some small: Boise for an interview, McCullough Family Campout, Utah for Becca’s wedding, Arizona  to see Becca and B. RyRy, Spokane x2, Utah for Corey’s wedding, and El Paso for Christmas.  




  • Being pregnant has actually been pretty fun and easy. I get to wear stretchy pants, eat 300 more guilt-free calories per day and, have a “cute” gut. At no other time do people ooh and ahh over your ponch.  

24 Weeks: Excuse the lovely backdrop

P.S.
I have come up with a resolution for everyone. (Resolutions for other people are the best kind.) Here it goes: Blog more in 2013 than you did in 2012. That means the Zavalas and McCulloughs will blog at least six times, Mom and Dad at least five times, the Neads and Johns at least four times, and the Calls twice. Now everyone blogging regularly would be ideal, but we will take baby steps. See? Doesn’t that sound fun? Awesome.  I’m glad we’re all on board.


6 comments:

The Blacks said...

I love you lovely back drop and congrats on the little one! We got your Christmas card today and it was adorable.

Catherine Call said...

Carolyn, you are da bomb. I absolutely agree that you all should do lots better blogging this year.

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

I look forward to everyone's posts. Carolyn, it's always wonderful to have you making lists, plans, goals (even when they're not for yourself), and setting the example. I look forward to the chronicles of this year's adventures, bad and good!

Catherine, "we want a post! We want a post!" (are ya'll with me here?) "We want a post....."

Buckanator said...

You're right. Ryan really needs to step it up when it comes to posting on the blog. You had quite an eventful year! LYLT HCDC.

Zar said...

Tarnin, I promise to always ohh and ahh at your ponch. Baby or no baby. K?

Also, I think the Zavalas already met our blog quota for 2013. See you in 2014 JFB followers!

The McCulloughs said...

The McCullough family camp out is always a highlight!! Can't wait for our "camp out" this year. :)