Thursday, November 8, 2007

Hawks are pretty much my favorite animal


I stepped outside of the office for a minute to make a call on my cell when I saw this hawk just sitting there in the parking lot. I ran back inside to grab my camera even though I knew he'd be gone by the time I got back, but he stuck around. I was able to get within 10 feet without him flying off. I didn't try to get any closer because I was afraid of getting my eyes pecked out. His friend watched the whole encounter perched on one of our antennas about 60 feet overhead.

6 comments:

EmmaJ said...

Great pictures Honey! But I hate to tell you this, but that is just a plain, ordinary, Key's Hawk! ;)

Catherine Call said...

Are there lots of Hawks around Key West? Do they feed on those wild chickens that run around?

Stephen said...

They do. I also happened to see a huge buzzard feeding on one early this morning over at the chapel.

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Buzzard: vuitre, gallinazo, ratonero, zopilote, o chulo. Beat that, Steve-o--sin diccionario. Too bad it's a relatively useless word.

Stephen said...

I can't beat that, mudder, you got me beat. I can tell you, however, that buitre se escribe con "be", no "uve".

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Maybe in Key West they spell it that way...