The name “booby” comes from the Spanish term bobo, which means "dunce". This is because the Blue-footed Booby is clumsy on the land, and like other seabirds can be very tame. It has been known to land on boats, where it was once captured and eaten. The natural breeding habitat of the Blue-footed Booby is tropical and subtropical islands off the Pacific Ocean, most famously, the Galápagos Islands, Ecuador.
Hello all you fine, fine, folks! We're back on "el continente" and gearing up for week one. From now on, when I say "week one" that means the week when we send the old missionaries home, get the new ones, and have zone leaders' council--which is week one of our 6-week rotation. That of course includes the huge meals with each event, the interviews, orientations, etc. But I digress...
We decided to go the same beach we went to last time and needed a back pack to carry water, sunscreen, etc., so in the spirit of "going green" we used a recycled plastic bag and will market our new invention as the plasti-pack. We were the envy of all the beach goers. It does make you sweat a bit when you get moving as it is just as if you were wearing, well, a plastic bag. We saw some boobies of the blue-footed variety. They may be clumsy on land, but they are way good divers. They stay under the water for about 3-4 seconds.
It was so great to get all the pictures of the Calls. Way to go Becca!!! We're needing some posts from all you other CF's.
Love, Mom and Dad
7 comments:
Quite the innovation, folks. Still, if you really want to go green you'll take a cue from your chipmunk brethren and carry only what you can stow in your cheeks.
I love the title. I couldn't imagine where it was going.... HAHA! I think Dad needs a T-shirt that has that on it. On the back there can be a picture of.....a bird.
Dad's back pack is the bomb. His cheesy smile rivals those of Brady and Aaron.
It's good to get a comment from Steve-o. We need more of his humor!
Did you guys really do the plasti-pack on the beach? It just occured to me that you were serious.
Americanos locos.
Yes Maám, we certainly did. I want you to know we looked a lot better than 99% of the tourists we saw--filthy hair, see-through white skirts, etc. (I'm sure Steve and Emma know the sort.) Did I mention that Galápagos sort of reminds us Key West? Anyway, at least we weren't wearing short shorts, sandals and white socks. There are tons of "I love boobies" T-shirts. Dad would never wear one, unless it was to bed!?!
Dad says we carried a sign around that said "Catherine's parents".
OK, Mary Lee, you just made me laugh so hard that Betty started crying! And did Steve make you say that the Galapagos are like here so I will stop pressuring him to let me go there?
Wow...these comments pretty much top them all. I loved the post Mom. The Galapagos Islands and their sovereign nation was a question on one of my comparative politics quizzes. I aced that bad boy...well that question anyways.
Post a Comment