Sunday, January 31, 2010

I'm back!!! (Revised)


Sorry Carolyn and Mike--- I left the most important picture off the first time!!!






Muy queridos hijos, hijas, yernos, nuera, y nietos,

It was so great to see you all (except Jason, Brady and Aaron) for the wedding. You are still a fine looking bunch and we are proud of all of you. In the blink of an eye, we'll be home and be able to see and talk to you much more often. I have done an abysmal job of writing frecuently but we pray for each of you by name at least twice daily, put your names in the temple, and think of you much more often than that.

I returned to Guayaquil without a hitch on Monday night--in fact our flight arrived early and I was home by 11:30 p.m. I then unpacked my stuff, then packed some clean stuff (as you know, I have a huge wardrobe to choose from) and spent 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get Dad's old palm phone to give me an alarm since my charger mysteriously disappeared and my phone was dead, and Dad was already in Machala. The next morning, I woke up precisely at the time the alarm was supposed to go off (but didn't--after all that time and effort) and was at the bus terminal at 8:00 a.m. where I caught the bus to Machala. I arrived there at 12:00 noon and we started the zone conference at 1:00 p.m. In case you're wondering, Dad had to go the day before to start Machala interviews and meetings which meant I was unable to do Machala house inspections (YESSSSSSSSSS!). We then did the away zone conferences in Loja then Cuenca and got home Saturday evening.

This whole week I have been recovering from two weeks of travel and not enough sleep. I think I'm good to go now.

We have had four missionaries from Machala contract dengue fever in the past month--two sisters (companions) and two Elders, also companions. Dengue is a viral disease contracted from mosquito bites and is also called "break-bone" or "bone crusher" fever, which gives you an indication of the comfort level of those who contract it. Symptoms are high fever (104) along with bone and joint pain as well as a killer headache and the danger is that it turns into hemorrhagic dengue (it's as scary as it sounds). Of our many dengue missionaries, none have had hemorrhagic dengue. So the moral of this story is, if you see mosquitoes flying around that have a letter "D" on them, don't let them touch you. NOT a good time.

Congratulations again to Carolyn and Mike. Mike---WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!! Mel, I hope your new classes are going well, as well as work. Emma and Steve, stay healthy and happy this last few weeks and do your best not to stress out too much-- final weeks of pregnancy, new baby, another move to a home that will probably require some fixing up (I tremble just thinking about it all). Beeka, we're all anxious to hear what you have been up to!?!! Catherine and Jason, let us know about livin' the vida loca there in the frozen tundra. We're always anxious to hear about the boys (even when the news isn't what you would like).

LYALT
Mom and Dad

5 comments:

Buckanator said...

Grood posting, Mom! I'll write a letter to tell you what I've been up to. Sounds like you need a nap.

Carolyn said...

No, BoBo. Poast it on on the blog. Hehe ;)

I was so happy to see a new poast on here. I was about to write one saying, "Someone poast something."

Loved the bit about the mosquitos with "D" written on them.

Catherine Call said...

Mom, as always, your poasts perk me right up!! You are the smartest, cutest Mom in the whole of the world!!

Did Marta like the shade shirt?!?

Stephen said...

You're a busy lady, Mom. Great post. Say hi to Dad for us.

EmmaJ said...

Did we ever tell you there was a Dengue outbreak in Key West last summer? The Mosquito coontrol went door to door checking houses for breading grounds just to try and stop the spread. No standing water at our house though.
Thanks for the great update. It was so good to see you.