Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Reading List

Mudder, here's the beginning of a reading list for you. They're in no particular order, except for Wodehouse, who will always be at the top of any list of mine. Read him first, then proceed with the others as you see fit. I'll add more to the list as they occur to me. Ditto for movies. Girlies, feel free to add your recommendations.

Joy in the Morning – Wodehouse

Hunger Games (Thanks for the tip, Carolyn) -- Collins

Catching Fire (Sequel to Hunger Games) -- Collins

1776 (Revolutionary War)-- McCullough

Mornings on Horseback (Bio of Theodore “Not the Socialist One” Roosevelt) -- McCullough

All Things Considered -- Chesterton

Chronicles of Clovis -- Saki [H.H. Munroe]

Persuasion -- Jane Austen

Anne of Green Gables (but not Anne of Avonlea: snoozer) -- Montgomery

The Road (a bit dark, not to everyone’s taste) -- McCarthy

The Jungle Book -- Rudyard Kipling

Kim -- Kipling

Pickwick Papers (I know you’ve read this, but you should read it again) -- Charles Dickens

Life of Samuel Johnson -- Boswell

The Big Sleep -- Chandler

Three for the Chair (Nero Wolfe) -- Stout

Walden (the section titled “Economy”; other bits are a tad boring) -- Thoreau


4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

EmmaJ said...

Mike, who knew you wrote books that Steve would recommend to his mom?

Catherine Call said...

The Road was good, but ROUGH on the emotions. I still really liked it, though. Not sure if Mom will.

Here are mine in order for you:

Devil in the White City--Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America--Erik Larson (Nonfiction about the Chicago World's Fair) LOOOOVED this book!

Peace Like a River--Leif Enger

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn--Betty Smith

Life of Pi--Yann Martel

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Well, I left a comment yesterday, but it apparently disappeared into cyberspace. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have all ready read Persuasion, Life of Pi, the whole Anne of Green Gables series,and Pickwick Papers. I look forward to perusing the other books you have suggested (gotta finish the Harry Potter series first, though--thanks for the reminder, Carolyn).

We want your movie favorites as well. Love you all--Mom