Monday, November 21, 2011

A Christmas Carol...




...read it, folks. The version I have is 68 pages of not small print, so that means that if you start now and put in approximately two pages of pleasant, easy reading per day, you'll finish well before Christmas.

To whet your appetites, a delightful little piece of Charles's prose:
There is no doubt that Marley was dead. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am going to relate. If we were not perfectly convinced that Hamlet's Father died before the play began, there would be nothing more remarkable in his taking a stroll at night, in an easterly wind, upon his own ramparts, than there would be in any other middle-aged gentleman rashly turning out after dark in a breezy spot -- say Saint Paul's Churchyard for instance -- literally to astonish his son's weak mind.
I know, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet Steve..I think I'm gonna take you up on your challenge!

EmmaJ said...

Mel, It's free on the Kindle.

Buckanator said...

Dickens rocks my world, and so do you Steve!

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

You know I'm a huge fan (well, I'm not THAT huge, but a love Dickens a huge amount)! I believe I encouraged you to read it the first time!

Dickens is truly a words master.

Two poasties in as many weeks, Steve....SWEET!!!!