Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thinking Happy Thoughts

So today was one of those days where I really didn't enjoy my job. Nothing particularly bad happened. I just felt like such a mediocre teacher. I don't like being mediocre...at anything. I also have one class of hooligans that drives me nuts. So in an attempt to stay positive, I am highlighting some teaching moments that made me smile this week.

The Chair: I have been using a plastic student chair at my desk since I started working. Most of the other teachers have bought themselves fancy desk chairs or have inherited them from retired teachers. A couple of students used my computer a few days ago and apparently were appalled that I was using a student chair. They wheeled this bad boy into class for me yesterday...
I was thrilled and asked where they got it. One of them is the student body president and went and talked to none other than the superintendent of the school district. She told him, "We have this amazing teacher who deserves a nice chair but is using a plastic one." He called her up the next day and told her he had found an extra for me. They were pretty pleased with themselves. I guess if I ever need something done, I know to go through her. :)

Post-Its from students left on my computer: Yes, that indeed says, "McCullough is anarchy." Trust me. That is a compliment from this kid.



Student writing responses:
  • Assignment: Which lesson/topic from the Africa unit did you enjoy the most and why? Student response: "...when we learned about the genocide in Rwanda...It was real gross and scary but it made me want to stand up for what I know is right, even if only on a smaller scale."
  • Assignment: Which lesson/topic from the Growth of Industry unit did you enjoy the most and why? Student response: "The most interesting was the video on greed. It really got me thinking, I even went home and asked my dad his opinion on it. But I really enjoyed this whole section, I love this class. I learn something new and important every day." HALLELUJAH!
  • Assignment: Write a journal entry from the perspective of an immigrant to the United States in the late 1800s. Excerpt from student response: "....these people in America are as confusing as I'll get out."
  • Assignment: Write a well-developed paragraph that describes what life would be like as a woman in ancient India. Student response: After BS-ing for a few sentences..."I should have studied a lot harder for this test mrs. mculugh." Yes, yes you should have.


9 comments:

Catherine Call said...

I loved this!! Getting glimpses into your teaching life is so fun! I especially love when you include examples of their work. So cute!!! My favorite is the person who throws themselves at your mercy by admitting that they should have studied more!

Shanks for toasty-poasting! Lurve you!

Catherine Call said...

Oh, and the Anarchy note!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Yes, that's exactly how I would describe "Mrs. Co-Mayor of Safety Town."

Daddy--guess who the other Mayor is??!!!........

Buckanator said...

Your job rocks! Can I have it? Yer students are my fayrit.

Anonymous said...

hahaha that is so cute! I can't believe they did all that to get you a chair! You are an awesome teacher, seriously. Those fools are so lucky!

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Such a fun post. What a nice chair and a nicer chair-giver! Restores your faith in the youffs of America.

It is easy for even wonderful teachers (like you) to sink into mediocrity when you are overworked and underpaid and have all the creativity mandated out of you. Keep fighting, Mrs. Cullough, the anarchist!

The McCulloughs said...

Such cute notes from your students and great chair!!! :)

Zar said...

http://heygirlteacher.tumblr.com/

Follow the link. If posting this on the blog didn't cheer you up, Ryan Gosling will.

Buckanator said...

Zar, I'm not a teacher, but your link still cheered me up... quick like.

Stephen said...

Great post. Either my teachers weren't as good as you are, or I wasn't as good a student as yours. Probably both.