I. Thoughts on Leaving Idaho
Mike's job offer came about two weeks ago. We were pretty freaked out to accept it. I was nervous to quit my job, and Mike was nervous to start a new one. We stared at the computer screen with our reply, "accepted as written" for probably five minutes before we worked up the ganas to press send. We both felt a bit better about the choice after it was made though. I still dreaded telling my principals, "Hey, I know it's the first week of school and all, but I am moving to Portland in a week and a half." Luckily it went pretty well. They were understanding but sad to see me go.
My students were so dramatic when I told them. "WHAT?!" "You can't." "This trimester is going to suck now." "Expletive." I suppose I was happy that they didn't cheer and do a happy dance. It was sad to say goodbye to some of my juniors who I have taught since their freshmen year and to many of the great friends that I worked with. During fifth period of my last day, the principals got on the intercom and made a dramatic announcement about how it was "the end of an era," and played Greenday's "Time of Your Life." I wish I was lying. They then came in and gave me a lunchbox. (Everyone who retires from Blackfoot High gets one.)
I will miss Mike's parents, BHS (both faculty and kiddos), El Vaquero, my friend Becky, and living in Idaho in general. It has been my home for the greater majority of the past six years.
II. Thoughts on Moving
Moving is one of the lamest, most expensive tasks ever. This was our sixth move in the just shy of three years that we have been married. Two of those moves involved moving into a storage unit before we could actually move into our apartments. This move was more painful than normal since we have more stuff than we have ever had before and it required an eleven and a half hour drive. We reserved a twenty-foot Uhaul and dolly to tow our car, but were "upgraded" to a twenty-six foot truck since that was all that was available. Getting "upgraded" really meant that we now got to pay even more money for gas since the larger trucks get worse mileage. Overall the move went smoothly. We did have quite the time getting in and out of gas stations and our hotel with the truck and dolly, but only had minor hiccups.
III. Thoughts on Hillsboro
Our apartment is nice. Our neighborhood is nice. The trees are nice. The peeps are nice (a little on the cray cray side but still very nice). Living in a city is super nice. Our library is huge and nice. Mike's job is nice (at least so far). Our ward is nice. Not working is nice. No sales tax is nice. The weather is mucho nice.
Our rent is mean. The state income tax is mean. Our car and renters insurance costs are incredibly mean. Paying for parking at your own apartment complex is insane, and you guessed it--mean.
We are excited to explore the area more once we have checked off the billion errands that you have to run once you move somewhere new. So for now we will explore the DMV, the bank, the Sheriff's Office, and Costco.
Come see us super soon!
Hello world!
3 years ago
4 comments:
New starts are always so exciting even if they're expensive and make you a little "cray cray". Baby Ry Ry and I will be over soon.
So jealous of the weather and the trees, but not all the cra cra people. Tree hugging, weed smoking, cloth diaper, lack of deodorant usen fools. Well its good to know we will be visiting the John's side in the Northwest when we come to visit. Sort of a one stop shop for family visitations. That sort of sounds like you're convicts. Just wait for the rainy season its coming up. heheheheheh
B RY RY
CAREBEAR! So glad you got this blogging party started again!
Great toasty poasty.
All I have to say is that anybody who makes the decision to move closer to me has clearly made the right decision.
So glad to have you so near!
Becca and Ryry...lurve your comments!
Yayyyy for a great poasty fren!!! Here are some clips from Portlandia that I had been telling you to watch. You can thank me later.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRHJlE4PGI
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TCDbY_lXS5A
Post a Comment