Monday, May 13, 2013

Mara Lee



Crizazy. Draining. Good. Hard. Happy. Stressful. Interesting. Sad. Hilarious.

Life with a newborn has been all of the above. We knew in theory before I ever even got pregnant that having a baby would change everything, yet it was/is a shock to the system when it actually happened. I didn't expect that just about every day would be a mixture of all those adjectives. Despite the hard parts, we are smitten with our little Mara and think that almost everything she does is the cutest, coolest, most amazing thing that any child has ever done in the history of the world.

How Mara's Doing:
Mara is a tiny little thing (4th percentile), so her doc has me feeding her every two hours. This means I spend the whole day nursing her. Hopefully she has gained enough weight by tomorrow or I will have to start waking her up more at night to feed her. Barf. Mara generally has a five to six hour stretch of sleep at night. My sanity might go away if that blissful rest does.

Mara goes through about ten diapers and four outfits a day. One of her favorite tricks is peeing and pooping after she has been cleaned up and before her new diaper is on. I guess she finds potty humor funny like her super mature and refined parents.

How Mike's Doing:
Mike is pretty obsessed with his "Baby Girl." He asks for lots of picture messages of her when he is at work and smooches on her non-stop when he is home (even when I tell him not to because I want her to stay asleep--so disobedient.) He is definitely more tired all the time due to less sleep than he used to get combined with incessant worrying about Mara's comfort and well-being. He is really good at calming Mara when she is freaking out and has mastered the art of using only one to two wipes to change a dirty diaper (as opposed to the four to five he used to use. ;) )

 How I'm Doing:
My physical recovery was a breeze. I never even needed to fill my pain killer prescription. The first couple weeks were more harrowing emotionally and mentally. I may or may not have full on sobbed when Mom left. Mara cried a ton those first couple weeks--sometimes inconsolably for hours. I learned how to better cope with that. Thank you iPod and car rides. She doesn't cry nearly as often now or for nearly as long, so things have gotten a lot easier. I am still learning the art of one-handed eating, cleaning, and typing. (This post has been very slow progress.) I have managed to keep my goal of putting on make-up everyday. Go me.

Overall I would say the three of us are adjusting quite well. Isn't she stinking cute?!







7 comments:

Buckanator said...

Just as I suspected! Motherhood is a breeze. Mara Lee is so stinking cute. I love how long and skinny she is, and she's fo sho starting to look more like her beautiful mother. Mikey, you're awesome for taking such good care of Roly and Mara. I love you bad. Can't wait to squish Mara at the reunion.

Unknown said...

It's good to see we have another cute one added to the family. Can't wait to see her in a few months. Don't worry I will be training her to say "Uncle Ry Ry is my Favy" before long. Don't worry Roly and Mikie I will get some extra sleep to makeup for the lack there of on your end.

Marcia said...

Congratulations you two, no three! Mara is adorable. Things get much better as the baby grows and adjusts to life outside. You'll even sleep again someday.

Mike and Emily Black Fam said...

So happy for your post. Been waiting to see some pics! Mara is a doll baby and you both will be pros in no time!

EmmaJ said...

She is so sweet. My kids will ruin her in 5 mins.

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Hilarious, Emma. Just make it through the first 6 weeks--that was always a huge milestone for me. The grandma looks a little haggard, too. She didn't like going through labor with her daughter.

Catherine Call said...

Oh SWEETNESS!!!! I have been waiting for you to do this post!!! She is absolutley DEEEVINE!!!

I love all three of you!