Friday, January 10, 2014

2013 with the Zavalas

What a year!!! As you will see, we had lots of big changes. This was easily our best and happiest year yet. Thanks for suggesting this Frenly Fren, it was fun to look back. 


January: We rang in the new year of 2013 in India and spent the rest of the month back in Oxford recovering from our crizazy vacation.


February: Pobrecito Zar broke his hand playing Football for the first time in 2 years. We celebrated valentines day by splurging on an amazing hot pot dinner! We became legit Europeans by attending our first rugby game....it was cold and not that cool. 


March: Zar was going to a conference in Israel and we made a last minute decision for both of us to go a bit early and explore. We saw Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, Galilee, Masada, and Nazareth. It was a jam packed (and exhausting) three days. One week later we went to Prague with some of our friends. Overall Prague was a fun trip, but the only memorable part for me was going to a Pharmacy to buy a pregnancy test in order to rule out the possiblity of me being pregnant....except I waaaas pregnant! What an exciting shock! 

Floatin' in the Dead Sea
The Czech pharmacy that changed it all!


April: Zar's mom came to visit, and we went to Istanbul. I was pretty miserable the whole time because of terrible nausea. We also did a fun "we're pregnant" photo shoot with Tracy and Gabri to announce to everyone that I was pregnant. 

 

May: We continued to love our fast paced life in Oxford. We hosted our second annual Cinco de Mayo party where I helped cook enough food for about 60 people. Que divertido! We went to our last Rhodes Ball. It wasnt nearly as fun pregnant because I was tired and ready to go by 10:30 but we had paid the big bucks so we stayed till 2 am. haha. At the end of the month we went on our last trip together to Greece. Zar worked on med school app essays while sitting by the pool/beach and I read books/relaxed. It was FANTASTIC! 

June: I began my work-free life and LOVED it! Even though it was June, we continued to wear sweaters outside...annoying. I went from blonde to brunette in order to save 150 pounds a month. It had been a looong time! Kathleen came to visit so we ditched Zar and went to Ireland. The highlight of the month was finding out that I was pregnant with a baby girl :).  

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

July: My good best friend Lindsey and her husband came to visit us in Oxford so we got to play tour guide. It was fun to see the sights one last time. I spent lots and lots of time packing, eating, and saying goodbye to good friends. On July 22 I left Oxford for good. Zar joined me in El Paso a week later. l;ksjdf;a
Me and Lindsey in Oxford
Adios Oxford!



August: We spent a week in El Paso and saw lots of family and friends. Zar's family threw us a really nice baby shower. Then we drove up to Utah with Mom and Dad for the reunion and stopped in Monticello to see Grandpa on the way. The reunion was a blasty blast! We did not want to leave Utah to begin real life in D.C. At the end of the month I hit the 30 week mark! 


September: This month was spent mostly just adjusting to life in our new place in D.C. I was very pregnant and it was hot and humid. Me no likey. Zar started working hard (he always works hard, but there is a difference between Oxford hard and D.C. hard) and I started watching Lost (YES!). Cat and Jason came to visit after loooots of begging. It was so fun to be a tourist with them in this awesome city!

October: The thing I remember most about October is feeling really pregnant and really uncomfortable. I started having blood pressure issues pretty early in the month but the doctors weren't too concerned about it. The baby went from breech to correct position by the end of the month. Zar went out of town three times for med school interviews. The best part was seeing SYTYCD on tour. Fun stuff.

November:  The first week of November was my last week pregnant. After a long day/night/day (you all know the story), our perfect little Annabelle was born on the 8th. We spent the first week of her life in the hospital just trying to get my bp under control. It was torture. Mom came to help and boooy was she a huge help. Belle was a perfect newborn. She ate so well, slept like crazy, and rarely cried. We really appreciated it. :) Mom left us on the 19th (it was tragic!!!), Zar went for another interview, then Zar's mom came to visit for Thanksgiving. It was a crazzyyyy month. We found that our minds were always occupied by thoughts of our favorite little cutie and we loved our first month of parenthood.

December: The thing I quickly learned that month was that nothing is consistent with babies. I do still realize that Belle is a good and well behaved baby buuuut, she is not always perfect like she had been in the first 2-3 weeks. We continued to learn and adjust. I loved watching my Zar love her so much. Even though he is strict about her schedule and habits, he sure is obsessed with her. :) We went home for Christmas. We looooved spending time with Mom and Dad. It was also very stressful managing our time and maintaining a good schedule for Belle. I got to stay a week extra and chill a bit more. Overall, it was a successful and fun visit. 
Our favorite Christmas gift!






 

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

You guys really should get out more and be more adventurous!

I hadn't realized just how crazy of a year you have had! It was jam-packed full of big things. How did I not realize this even though we skyped basically every day!?

Catherine Call said...

Oh Belle! (I love that I have a big Belle and a little Belle now!) I can NOT wait to see you both in a few short weeks! Seriously, you guys have the most adventurous lives. Just reading about it makes me want a nap.

I love that you said it was tragic when Mom left. That literally is NO EXAGGERATION! I WEPT for HOURS after Mom abandoned me with Brady. Seriously traumatic.

I Love you!

Buckanator said...

Mom promised to stay with me for 2 months.

What a whirlwind of a year. I love that last picture of Belle under the Christmas tree. PRECIOSA!

EmmaJ said...

What a great year!

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Mel..I just noticed that you posted. Great job. How do I follow you all you guys with such fast-moving, exciting stuff going on?