Here's a little anecdote you might enjoy...about two months ago, we received a new missionary from a well-to-do family in Texas. He was on scholarship to Rice university, played the violin, had a girlfriend and left what he figured was a pretty perfect life. He came here all smiles, but 1 1/2 weeks later when we saw him a zone conference, he was a changed boy. He had that deer-in-the-headlights look of desperation about him. I asked him how he was and he said "más o menos". He had no smile, he said it was harder than he thought and in his email to Bill he said he thought he could still serve the Lord while he was at home. He said he was very unhappy. I was really worried about him. Bill sent his zone leader over to do an interchange with him. His zone leader is this smiley great kid from Idaho. He talked to him about this and that, shared a few scriptures with him, encouraged him, gave him a big hug. About three weeks after that, we saw him again for interviews. He was smiling a bit, said he was progressing with the Spanish, etc. No mention of how tough life was. Another two weeks passes and last week I talked to him at zone conference this past Tuesday. Once again...a changed boy. There's a big smile on his face. We chatted about how funny it is in church meetings when everyone sings in a different key, with no accompaniment and he says "but they love to sing...there is always such a great spirit and it makes up for everything." This is the skilled musician who wanted to go home, talking with love about the spiritual blessings received from singing the hymns, Ecuadorian style. The gospel does change lives, even and sometimes especially the lives of the missionaries.
I would love to see the following things: a report with pictures of Mel's recital, Becca's trip, and Carolyn's burgeoning social life; beds and Halloween pictures, a picture of Jason running a race, dressed in scrubs, whatever, and Catherine cooking tortilla soup; Betty, Emma, Steve and beach pictures 1-26. We love you all. Mom and Dad
Hello world!
3 years ago
3 comments:
HA! I posted mine while you were writing yours! Not two in a row no mo!
On a nicer note, thanks for sharing that story. I love to hear about your missionaries. I am so glad that he stuck with it and that the work and the spirit has changed his life and attitude.
Thanks for all your great posts. Maybe I'll have to change my title.
What a great story! I think he would have regretted leaving very badly after he got home. I am so glad he was able to let himself get lost in the work!
Post a Comment