Hello all you fine folks.
What a joy it is for us to see and hear from you via the blog and other media. You are a fine-looking lot and it's apparent you've all exceeded the expectations of your gene pool.
On 4 July, we had a cookout here in the house with hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, watermelon, (the whole shebang) so this picture shows the the office staff and nurses. The picture isn't that good, but was taken with about 8 other cameras set on automatic...so everyone was confused with where to look. But it kind of adds to the charm of the picture.
We are now well into the final year of our mission and are working to make it the best one yet. Dad and I were able to attend two different baptismal services yesterday to witness seven people placed tenderly on the path towards eternal life. Each one is a miracle and a joyful reminder of why we're here in Ecuador. This morning we traveled to La Troncal (about 1 hour from Guayaquil) to attend branch conference there. There were some notable weaknesses (like when the Primary teacher handed me the manual about half way through the meeting and asked that I share something with the class--meaning the rest of the lesson), but overall the meetings were uplifting and well done. We are attending a meeting tonight that should help to train us on how to organize and carry out the open house for the Galapagos chapel. We are way excited for the completion of the chapel, the open house(s) and the dedication. It really is a wonderfully significant event for the Church in Ecuador and particularly in Galapagos.
Becca's birthday last Wednesday ushered in the birthday season for the Johns children. Let us be the first ones to wish Steve a happy birthday on Wednesday, Mel on Thursday August 20, Catherine and Rachel on the 19 and 28 of September (Saturday and Monday), and Carolyn on Wednesday, 4 November. I worked hard to get you here, and I promise to work even harder to help you get safely home.
Kathleen will be visiting us next week and going on the away zone conferences with us. We have asked her to talk about nutrition for missionaries. We find that the majority of our missionaries gain weight here (mostly due to mountains of rice) but are malnourished. I was looking at our Elders last night at the baptisms and a couple of them were about to pop, nay explode, out of their pants. It's tough when they eat with mamitas who are intent on feeding them until they burst, and take offense if they give up part-way through.
Well, we're gearing up for la famosa week 1, and we have a large group leaving and large group coming. We will have 5 brand spanking new North American missionaries staying in the house for a night tomorrow--so that adds a little to my stress. But here's the deal with week one--week two always comes.
We love and miss you all. Hold to the rod.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Hello world!
3 years ago
8 comments:
So good to see both of you again. I wish you all the best with week one.
I do have to add that you forgot a couple of super important birthdays, Aaron and Betty- although I guess you didn't really bring them into this world- but those of us that did worked hard at it.
Speaking of Catherine- your blog is feeling neglected. Betty needs more pictures
You are so right, Emma! Brady's May birthday, Aaron and Betty's August birthdays, and two other very important birthdays---Jason in June and Emma in December. Happy birthday to all. (My work here is done!)
WOW, I think that is the earliest birthday wish I have ever gotten!
Very nice poast Momma! Thank you for the birthday wish. I am excited to be turning twenty again.
I thought that the Galapagos did not qualify for a chapel? How did that happen?
Why are all those new missionaries staying in the house?
One in the general authority room, two in the twin-bed room, one in the double bed room, and one on the couch. Normally when we get a group of North American missionaries, we house them at the alojamiento at the temple, where they can stay cheap as long as they attend a session. Win/win. As luck would have it, the temple is closed for cleaning and maintenance.
I am so excited to get to go to that new chapel in the Galapagos! It looks a lot like the ones I went to in Ecuador, am I right??
Your baby will no longer be a teenager exactly one month from now!! YAYY! Thanks for the early birthday wish.
BTW--is one of your N.A. missionaries Elder Thayne by any chance? I keep forgetting to ask you. I knew his sister at BYU-I and he got called to your mission!
Mom, can you post every day?!?! Seriously?! I love it so much. You know you sound so much like Grandpa when you post. It's hillarious.
I thought the same thing as Catherine. You sound especially like grandpa when you said that we have exceeded the expectations of our gene pool. I miss you, my lovers!
Post a Comment