Saturday, February 27, 2010

Family Field Trips


We have decided that because we now live in an area that has so many cool things you can do and visit in a day (you know, because Key West was boring and had nothing) we are going to do Family Field Trips every-other weekend. Steve gets every-other Friday off from work, so we'll do our Saturday chores on Friday and then have the Saturday for field trips. We have set up rules for these field trips: you have to be able to get there and back in one day, a family picture must be taken, each family member has to record what they liked about the day, and it can't cost more than $50 for everything.

Today was our first one and we decided to go to the Temple. Betty loves to see any temple (she always asks if she is going to see Becca there, don't know why) and so this was a great place for us to start this new tradition. The D.C. Temple has a great visitors' center too, so it wouldn't just be walking around the snowy grounds.



Here we are in our family picture. When asked what she liked Betty said (with my notes to understand her in parentheses), "seeing President Monson on TV (they had this really cool interactive display where there were topics and subtopics and for each one you highlighted there was a 2-5 minute segment of President Monson talking on that topic in a past General Conference), the Jesus statue (like the one at the SLC Temple visitors' center only smaller), and Lehi, Nephi, the camel and Moroni (they had displays of some Book of Mormon stories and Betty knows all of these people and loves that Lehi and Nephi had a camel).

Also, on a things Betty says note: She still wants to go to Ecuador "all by herself" to visit Nana and Papa, and she also sometimes prays for "Carolyn to get married in the temple". I think it is more of a prayer of gratitude that Carolyn, you did get married in the temple, rather than she hopes that you do... even though you did.

We hope you are all doing well.
What did you do this weekend?

4 comments:

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Great picture! I think that's a great idea--it's easy to not see the sights when you're a "local" and there are some wonderful things to do there.

We had three zone conferences and traveled to Milagro today (Sunday) to do a baptismal interview. We are catching our breath to go on our zone conference tour tomorrow through Saturday.

Carolyn said...

I love this!!! Betty is too cute. I need to order me one.

Mike and I watched Night of the Museum on Friday. I guess Mike watched it. I slept through it. On Saturday we watched Burn Notice and Taking the Stage while doing our laundry and hung out with the Jones that evening. Ally was over for dinner last night.

Buckanator said...

Betty associates me with the temple because I'm so stinking pure! I NEED to come visit you.

This weekend I babysat, shopped, went out to eat, did laundry, made my legs and pompy very sore with running and a million lunges, made a yummy sunday dinner, and got in a hilighter fight.

Anonymous said...

So fun! I can't wait to see pics from the rest of your family field trips, cause DC is awesome! I literally laughed out loud reading the stuff about Betty...so cute!

This weekend I studied, read Pride and Prejudice and went to Stake conference.