Sunday, February 27, 2011

Teaching Stuffs

The end of another trimester is here. I get all new classes tomorrow. I am happy to be rid of two of my classes but am sad to lose the other two. Hopefully my new classes do not make me really miss all four of my old classes....

Mike and Mary helped me grade a wretched batch of "summaries" for FHE last Monday. 80% of the class failed because they chose to copy and paste from internet news articles. Sentences like, "Hong Kong shares come off opening losses, as coal producers advance on high crude prices and geopolitical worries in the Middle East, although local property developers fall on policy concerns," were a dead giveaway. Yes, class. Mrs. McCullough really does read your assignments...especially when it is a project grade.

This trimester should be easier than the last. (That makes me sound pregnant....I'm not.) I have only two preps (Economics and Modern American History) instead of three. I also like American History about a trillion times more than World History. Who really cares about Mesopotamia?

Here are some pictures of some really fun projects that my favorite class did. I let them pick any topic about Asia that they found were interesting. One kid taught the class about different types of sushi and brought some for everyone to sample. I was challenged to eat a squid. It was nas to the T. Some of the other projects included a Japanese fashion show, a homemade crossbow, a homemade samurai helmet, and a Great Wall of China replica. It was by far the most entertaining day of the trimester. Did they learn something? I hope.



Your homework assignment: Post on the blog.
Due date: By the end of March.
  • This assignment will be worth 100% of your grade.
  • If you choose to plagiarize, you will earn a zero.
  • You may turn it in one day late (April 1st) for a maximum score of 70%. After that you will earn a zero.
  • If you are absent, you have the number of days you missed plus one to make up the assignment.
  • Please write your name on your assignment. It is very hard for me to give you credit for work that I do not know is yours.

9 comments:

The McCulloughs said...

I'm glad for you that you're leaving behind some of your not so favorite classes. PS...I tried squid on accident once and you're totally right...NASTY!

EmmaJ said...

Thanks for blogging! This trimester for me will be the hardest (because I am pregnant and almost done!)
So, in high school I had a lot of wrestler friends who couldn't type very fast. They paid me to type their papers and they would come to my house and read them to me while I typed. I could tell a lot of it was copy and paste, so I would fix that for them so I didn't have to type redo papers.

EmmaJ said...

Was the squid raw or cooked? Because cooked right and it is delicious.

Buckanator said...

I'm glad for you that you're leaving behind some of your not so favorite classes. PS...I tried squid on accident once and you're totally right...NASTY!

Catherine Call said...

Carrie the bearrie--I am so glad that you do dem toasty poasties here! I LOVE them! You are probably the best teacher in the whole world. You look like you blend right in with your students only much better dressed.

Is calamarie (sp?) squid? If it is I like them fried and dipped in ranch. Actually, I like everything fried and dipped in ranch....with a side of bacon.

Becca--It took me a few seconds to get it, but I am DYING laughing.

Melanie said...

You look suuuper cute in that pic. I love your hair!! Your projects looked fun. Any brilliant ideas for what I should do with my classes once recital is over?? lol

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Carolyn, you busted through the drought, pierced the blogosphere darkness, AND totally rock. I am looking forward to the assignment will undoubtedly receive the VERY HIGHEST GRADE.

Becca, I don't get it?!? (And I'm usually so clever.)

EmmaJ said...

Cat, Calamari is fried squid and I think it rocks. One of my favorite appetizers, especially from Sarabeth's in Key West where it comes with a chile, lime and coconut sauce. YUM!

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

Wait, you just cut and pasted and plagiarized Chrystal's comment!!! That was good!