Friday, November 23, 2012

Fanksgibing!

This year Zar and I went to the "Rhodes American Thanksgiving Dinner". It was organized by the scholars themselves and everyone had to contribute. You could sign up for baking pies, serving duty, or clean up duty. Zar signed us up for cleaning duty. I wasn't too opposed to this. Scholars could also sign up to bring different kitchen items to help in the preperation/serving process. While most people signed up for 2-3 items on the list, Zar signed up for everything but the kitchen sink (including a carving knife and a serving platter...both of which don't exist in our kitchen)! Funny stuff. We both worked all day then we had appointments to get our travel vaccinations for our India trip right after work. Let's just say that Zar was NOT thankful for needles (pobresito). I however took it like a champ! Back to the dinner. They served turkey, rolls, salad, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and green bean cassarole. It was all really really yummy. They also had a whole table of food for vegetarian/glutan free/dairy free diets. Needless to say, I didn't even see what was on that table! For dessert they had every kind of pie you can imagine. I only had half a piece of pumpkin and half a piece of lemon meringue cause I was stuuuuffed! The clean up after dinner was pretty quick and painless. Zar is always such a great and willing helper.
 My favorite dish at dinner: the sweet potatoes.
 Zar's favorite dish: greenbean cass
When I asked Zar what he was thankful for he just said, "I'm thankful for my Tina. I'm thankful that I'm married. I'm thankful that I'm not alone." then he said, "Ok seriously though, I'm thankful that I have you, I'm thankful we've gotten to do so much due to the Rhodes, and I'm thankful that I love my job". (btw--I am "Tina")
What I am thankful for: a husband who is my best friend and favorite person ever, a fantasy (and temporary) lifestyle here in England, and sunshine.

I missed all of you a lot yesterday. As much as I love this experience and lifestyle, I am also very thankful that this is/will be our last Christmas season being so far away from all of you. 7 months and counting fools.

Here are some pics of our fun night:
 

Also, here are some pics of Zar and I at the Cardiff castle that I thought were fun and shoud have posted a long time ago :)

 
 
just fyi-this was the moment where I tore a huge whole in the crotch of my favorite jeans....very tragic!
 

6 comments:

EmmaJ said...

Man, the things I could have done with that kitchen! Glad you guys were taken care of.

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

I'm proud of you for helping with the cleanup. I'm proud of Zar for being willing to volunteer all that he has (and doesn't have). You guys both look great! Mel, the sacrifice of your jeans was totally worth that picture of you in front of the rugby player at Cardiff Castle. Love it!

Carolyn said...

I like both of your Thaynsgibbing outfits. Nice sweaters. My favorite part of this post may or may not have been you splitting your pants though. You kinda have a history of that. Member swing dance practice? :)

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

What's a scholar?

WSJ, MLJ, or both said...

What's a scholar?

Catherine Call said...

Zarinch is so cute with all his volunteering schtuffs!!

The pants-splitting pic made my day! HAHA!! Classic!!

It was wonderful to talk to you the day after turkey, little Belle!!